Healthcare industry is based on and revolves around the PATIENTS. Different fields of the health departments are providing problem specific relief. The most challenging health care issue is patient’s safety. It is rightly said ‘To err is Human’ which brings us to the major stress area that is flawless patient care. According to a recent study, third leading cause of deaths in United Status is medical errors. As the technology is advancing, treatment techniques are evolving too. When it comes to catering the patient’s requirements, sometimes being a human, we do mistakes in severe cases that become fatal. So, whenever we sit together in continuing medical education conferences, we talk about preventing such malfunctioning by the healthcare provider, be it a doctor in diagnosis, a nurse in incorrect medicine or dosage, or anyone else.
We are here to know about the errors and the preventive measures that can be followed to circumvent any mischance. Below we’ll talk about it one by one:
- Patient fall:Age and disease conditions may lead to falling of the patients. In such cases, one must assist the patient with the help he/she needs during off the bedtimes. Take rounds at regular intervals to avoid any delay in any kind of treatment and causing uneasiness to the patients. Also, there must be a proper nurse-patient ratio.
- Infections:Hand hygiene is the basic and key factor in blocking the path of infection. Prepare skin with chlorhexidine and use sterile techniques which decreases the risk of bloodstream infections. Patients also need extra care during urinary catheter.
- Inappropriate medicine: At times the nurse misreads the name of the medicine or the dosage to be given to the patients. The risk factor can be reduced by proper management of the intervention documents.
- Equipment injury:Technologically advanced devices have made the tools easy to handle but also increases the possibilities of injury. To prevent this, one can ask for the training required on it. Proper examination and removal of defective scientific devices minimize this risk.
- Special Care: Children are more prone to be hit with the misfortunes as their medicinal dose is based on their weight and many more calculations. More the steps to be followed give the larger area for mistakes. Extra care and attentiveness; plus the help of some familiar person are always a good decision.
You have come to know about the most emphasized topic in the continuing medical education conferences where one can discuss and get solutions to the various pitfalls the medical professionals come across.